Wednesday, March 12, 2014

2004 Buick Lesabre Battery Replacement Under Back Seat



How does one replace the battery in a 2004 Buick LeSabre that is located under the back seat? There is a battery acid drain coming out of each side near the top of the battery close to the terminals that drains to the outside bottom of the car. Does the cap come off with the drains and one reuses it?
Are there any gotchas when one removes the battery that needs to be fixed after new battery is installed?
By the way, my 6 year old battery is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. I thought that it was new when I checked it. I am sure nobody has ever pulled the back seat to check or clean it since I bought it new.

The proper DELCO Battery is required. The drains dont come off. The new battery MUST have drains of its own, or it WILL eat your seat cushions.

Originally Posted by Unclediezel
The proper DELCO Battery is required. The drains dont come off. The new battery MUST have drains of its own, or it WILL eat your seat cushions.
I appreciate the response. But UGHHHH!!!! Not only is the Delco very hard to find but I think it costs about $180. A Buick dealer told me that I didn't want to know then said it would be $245 for the battery and $40-45 to install! Yikes! I paid $165 for my first car.
Some of the other vendors like Firestone, Reilly, Advanced Auto Parts claim to have them (but not Sears or Wal-Mart). But I don't know if the drains are integral to their batteries or they just are the right size. Any thoughts?

Well, Autozones description of the battery actually says Battery is vented to outside of vehicle. Labor intensive installation, 30 minute installation. Located under rear seat.
I would assume (there's that word...uugh) that they are manufactured to OEM requirements. Our local store shows them as IN STOCK...and I'm in Podunkville. Won't hurt to go have a look see...

You have my sympathy; I always cringe when I go out on a jump start call and it's one of those and they mention it's several years old. I hate it when they ask about how much it'll cost them to have it replaced.

Doesn't the manufacturer provide auxiliary terminals for battery clamps and chargers so one doesn't have to dig into the interior every time? My buddy's Touareg has that feature placed under the hood.

That's insane! If they couldn't find room under the hood I don't think I'd even want to look for spark plugs.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45
I would assume (there's that word...uugh) that they are manufactured to OEM requirements.
FAT Chance ...The reason I know about eating seat cushions is because I bought A set, after The Clown at ***** Parts store assured me it was a sealed battery and The missing vent tubes was a design change.....(After all these years I should have known better).....
APPROACH WITH CAUTION!!!!! If it doesnt have its own vents, put it down and walk away. I think you are going to find that most aftermarket batteries dont have em'. The reason the Buick dealer is so expensive , is because they know no-one else has what you need.

Originally Posted by Unclediezel
FAT Chance ...The reason I know about eating seat cushions is because I bought A set, after The Clown at ***** Parts store assured me it was a sealed battery and The missing vent tubes was a design change.....(After all these years I should have known better).....
APPROACH WITH CAUTION!!!!! If it doesnt have its own vents, put it down and walk away. I think you are going to find that most aftermarket batteries dont have em'. The reason the Buick dealer is so expensive , is because they know no-one else has what you need.
Exactly my concern, Unclediezel. Thanks. I'll make sure that I see the battery before buying. Why would they design such a monstrosity? I think that Buick discontinued this.
But, in their defense, I repeat that I have never seen such a clean 6 year old battery in all of my years of driving cars. Especially one that has never been checked or serviced.

Both Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone claim that it is vented to the outside. Whether they are or not needs verification.

Nope, They still do it....
I work for Chrysler, and all the Chargers, Magnums, 300's and Challengers have them in the trunk......With the vent tubes out the Trunk pan..... And Right next to the Powr distribution block.....
Not so much the new ones , but the 4 or 5 year old cars that come in , with the Sears Die-hard, or some unknown Store brand because the customer didnt want to spend the Bucks on the factory battery, All have corrosion concerns that wreak havoc from Power antennas that go up by themselves, seats that recline by themselves, Cars that wont Start...About the only one I havent seen is the Car that starts by itself.Its just a shame to see a 3 or 4 hundred dollar seat cover get toasted over 50 bucks.

Yes on the aux terminal; even some cars with the battery under the hood have them tucked under something and you have to use the aux. Sometimes the biggest challenge using the aux terminal is finding a ground in amongst all the plastic and fiberglass.
Jumped a couple of Beemers with trunk batteries, too, I think.

Got tired of researching so I went to Advance Auto Parts (AAP) and looked at their battery. AAP had a well rated battery in Consumer Reports although they rated a Titanium model versus the Gold I saw. It had the necessary vents for the drain harness with 3 years replace/84 month pro-rate warranty and a decent 770 CCA so I had them install it. Cost about $134 + tax. Afterwards I noted that O'Reilly had one for $95-99 but no mention of installing.
I found all of the variations for AC Delco, O'Reilly. Auto Zone, etc. confusing. Like trying to dissect a mite. The guy at AAP claimed that 95% of all batteries are made by one company. From the similar specs and warranties I would guess that he isn't far off.
Still breaks my heart that the old AC Delco looked brand new but I didn't want to have to push the Le Sabre out of the garage some winter (or summer) morning when it didn't start.
Thanks for the help, Guys.Beer 4U2






Tags: 2004, buick, lesabre, battery, under, back, seat, seat cushions, Auto Parts, Buick dealer, have them, Originally Posted, under hood