Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Remodel Recessed Lighting In Vaulted Ceiling Please Advise



Hello,
I am remodelling my family room, which is approx 20' by 12.5', with 12' high vaulted ceilings. I currently have an old ceiling fan in the center of the room, which is now the only source of lighting (other than natural light). I recently purchased a new, more attractive ceiling fan to replace the old one, but am still concerned that I will not have enough lighting (Ceiling Fan fixtures never seem to provide a LOT of lighting... just some!).
I had intended to have 4 recessed lights installed in the vaulted ceiling to provide additional lighting, and I even have my wife's Uncle lined up to do the work this Saturday. However, as I research the topic, I find that there is reason to hesitate with such a plan, as there is the possibility of heat and moisture buildup in the ceiling plenum. I have scoured the web, and made phone calls to local electrical supply houses, and I have come up empty handed in my search for Sloped-ceiling, air-tight recessed lights for remodel (old work). Can someone please advise on the best options for me? I want the recessed lights, but not if I am going to have the variety of problems that go along with their inherent air-loss / high heat output. What do you recommend? Should I (1) take my chances, because the risks are low, (2) install remodel air-tight recessed cans that are not intended for sloped ceilings, and simply add eyeball trim, (3) forget the remodel, and rip out sheet rock to install new work air-tight sloped recessed cans, or (4) forget recessed altogether and install something else?
Please help. Note that I have 2x10 rafters in the ceiling, with insulation...
Thanks,
Craig

I'd probably vote for (2). This might depend on how steep the slope is, and whether or not the eyeball trim will allow you to direct the light where you want it.

Personally, I think recessed can lights are out. They are still in when used to provide task or area lighting for a kitchen island, but are 1970's when used as general illumination for a large room.
Now that that is out of the way... There are can lights available for almost every installation so if the proper one is used you will have no problem.
PS: Please don't be offended by my can light decorating comments. Do what you what YOU like. It's your house after all, not mine.

Pilot - what would you use for a hallway? Thanks.

For a hallway I like:
Recessed can lights (though my wife does not want them anywhere in the house). There is a frosted lense that clips onto the front of the can and is almost flush with the ceiling and it difuses the light so it illuminates a broader area without the typical spotlight effect. I don't like seing any can light without a front lense or diffuser. I just don't like seeing a tube with a light bulb at the end.
I have seen some nice surface mount fixtures that would be good in a hall. They are low profile and sleek (but now sci-fi) which can work with even 8 ft. ceilings.
I also like wall sconces. Ceiling light fixtures in a hall should be plain, but I think you can get a bit more fancy with sconces.
That's my two cents worth. But do whatever you like. Every house is different. I have a cookey great aunt that never left the 60's. Her house is straight out of Austin Powers. Leopard print sofa, zebra print love seat, shag carpeting, fish tank in the wall and it actually looks good.... so anything is possible.

Maybe track lights are an option?. There are many more track light options than you can imagine! Low volt will give the greatest flexibiity, small fixtures, flood spot bulbs, low profile, fixed mount, hanging, wire track, flex track, many materials colors.
No holes in the ceiling needed either! If you do go with recessed, IMO, make sure the housings super air tight!






Tags: remodel, recessed, lighting, vaulted, ceiling, please, advise, recessed lights, air-tight recessed, eyeball trim, recessed cans, room which, when used, will have