Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Change Out A Pocket Door



I have a pocket door in our bathroom that I would like to replace the existing door with a 6 panel one.
Is there a way that I can remove the door from the first roller then swing the door into the room, then disconnect the second rooler from the door? The door is behind the finished trim in the wall so I don't know how wide it really is.
I know that I will have to remove the trim at the top of the door. The trim is not connected to the side trim as though it was ment to be removed without touching the side trim.
I really don't want to cut holes in the wall to reach the screws for the track for removal. Is there a way to remove the door by itself?
Please give me full instruction if you can.
Thanks folks in advance.
workhorse

To remove the door from the track, you need ot remove casings and the jamb pieces -- the trim around the door. Once that's out of the way you can close the door and swing it to remove the rollers from the track. (Just like removing a bi-pass closet door.)
To install a swinging door in the opening you'll need to add enough framing to attach the casing to. I would use a pre-hung door at whatever size fits the hole that you have opened up in the wall or is slightly larger. (Much easier to cut a little sheetrock out of the way than it is to patch it!) I would have the hinges of the new door on the side of the opening that was the latch side of the pocket door, and the handle on the pocket side.

Thanks Lefty for the help. I may have misled you though. I still would like to swap out the standard plain door with a 6 panel one. Still want it to be a pocket door when I am finished.
The existing door width is wider than if the trim is removed from around the door. So I just cant move the door into the opening and take it off the track. I was wondering if I could disconnect the door from the first roller above, swing the door into the opening to get the whole door out from the wall area, then remove the door from the second roller. I would then reverse the order on the new 6 panel door.
Do you think this could be done successfully? I still plan on removing the trim where necessary.
Thanks
Workhorse

ok, NOW I understand!!
To remove the existing door slab of the pocket door, you probably need to remove the casing and the jambs. The casings are (or should be) nailed to the jambs as well as into the wall. You need to remove them so you can get the jambs out. Now you can slide the door about 3/4 farther into the closed position which should be enough to allow you to swing the door into the room and remove it from the track. Replace the existing slab door with your new 6 panel, then reinstall the jambs and the casings.

Hi, One time I found a pocket door that the opening on one side was bigger than the other side. You may want to check. Either way you will have to remove the door stop. Pieces about 1 3/8 x 3/8. They run on the top and down one side on both inside and outside of the door.
Good Luck Woodbutcher






Tags: pocket, door, door from, remove door, door into, pocket door, door with, existing door, from track, need remove, remove door from, swing door, swing door into