Monday, March 10, 2014

Make An Extender For A Table



Hi,
I have a big family, and when it comes to the Holidays my Mom likes to have EVERYONE over for dinner... The problem being the table is too small... currently with the 2 leafs it measures 40 x 60... She wants a table top extender... the problem they cost at least $250 and the only places i can find them, they don't ship to Canada....
So I want to make her one.
My question is... how do i make it so it can fold up easily but not have a hinge protruding in the middle of it, and how far can it overhang off the existing table without needing a reinforcement? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JulieD

I never heard of a table extender before so I took a look on the web. It seems they are just over sized table pads. I don't find the material that table pads are made from to be that strong. To me, anything more than an 6 overhang seems to be pushing it. The overhang is where all the weight is going to be.
I don't know what type of material you were planning to use, but I would suggest 3/4 plywood. I think a 12 overhang would be suitable with that material.
As far as the hinge is concerned, you need to have the center of the hinge barrel to line up with the surface of the top in order to have it fold flat. So that means part of the hinge will have to protrude. There is a hinge that will do what you want, but plywood is not going to be a good material to use them in and they are expensive.
An alternative idea I had was to use folding card tables set at the end of the dining table. Then get a table cloth that is long enough to cover everything. If you can find a table that is really close in height, I think that may be an easier solution.

We go low tech with this and just run card tables off the end of the dining table when the crowd exceeds the capacity of the dining room table

We do that now and that's why she wants the extender...

Adding 1x2s under the part of the plywood that overhangs the table will stiffen it up some but I'd think you need to add legs if the plywood extends any distance.

You could probably lay a full sheet of 5/8-3/4 ply over your existing table without any worries...
Thats only 4 on each side..and 12 on each lenght..
I cant see too much of a problem with that.. Unless you're dancing on the table top..!!
Round off the edges, table cloth..and you should be good to go...
Been there.. done that!! - So long as you have the room in your DR...!

That last option works, but it doesn't with storage after... the reason i want to hinge it is so we can put it away easily....What about a plywood center with a solid frame and barrel hinges.... or am i getting in way over my head?

..Cut the sheet in 1/2, 2-4x4' sections and if you want..recess/inlay a pair of hinges into the plywood to connect the 2. Or..frame the 2 pieces of ply with, say 1x2 stock and join the 2 sections at the sides (the 1x2 frame) with those flat/straight metal plates with holes to be attached with screws...Something like that could work.

I think I've figured it out... thanks guys

/\ .. so .. what did you finally do?

Originally Posted by JulieD
I think I've figured it out... thanks guys
yeah. what did you come up with ?!

I haven't done it yet but i think i will just go with a sheet of plywood - cut in half or in thirds - dowel it, and add a clamp on the bottom to keep it together so the kids don't pull it apart.... stain it nice and add a trim..... she'll love it so much she won't want to put it away.... now if i can just find the time to do it






Tags: make, extender, table, card tables, card tables dining, card tables dining table, dining table, existing table, existing table without, figured thanks, figured thanks guys